Dear Prince Walean or Sponsor of the Prince of Wales School:
You are cordially invited to attend the 25th Anniversary Thanksgiving Serivce of the Old Prince Waleans Association (USA), Inc. (OPWA), Washington Metropolitan Area Chapter. The Service will be held on Sunday, April 14, 2013 at the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 7401 New Hampshire Avenue, Takoma Park, Maryland 20912 and the Islamic Society of Washington, 2701 Briggs Chaney Road, Silver Spring, Maryland 20905 at 10:00 am concurrently in accordance with the school’s tradition. A Reception will be held at the Long Branch Community Center at 8700 Piney Branch road, Silver Spring, MD 20901 immediately after the service. Dr. Evan Williams will be the preacher at the Christian Service and Alhaji Abdul Khatan Mahdi, the Imam at the Muslim Service. We would be delighted and honored if you could grace us with your presence and join us in giving thanks.
The theme for this year’s program is: “Global Strategy for Education-Sowing the seeds for a brighter future”
OPWA is a not-for-profit organization, comprising former students of the Prince of Wales School in Freetown, Sierra Leone. We are actively engaged in activities, research and studies to implement strategies and programs geared towards improving education at the Prince of Wales School and ultimately in Sierra Leone. Following is a brief list of accomplishments made by OPWA in conjunction with other chapters here in the United States of America and in the United Kingdom over the years:
- With the Leadership of the Georgia Chapter we established a $60,000 state-of-the-art Solar-Powered Computer Laboratory at the School.
- With the Leadership of the New Jersey Chapter a comprehensive survey of the school’s buildings and infrastructure was conducted and we have embarked on a complete rehabilitation project of the school’s buildings.
- OPWA liaised with the African Leadership Academy, a South African institution, to provide supplemental financial assistance for three outstanding students from the school who won acceptance to the academy, two of whom have proceeded to advanced degree programs in the USA.
- In February OPWA donated a $5,000 Commercial Risolar Copier/Printer/Scanner to ameliorate the printing needs of the school and enhance the security and integrity of printed examination materials.
- In conjunction with the other chapters in the Diaspora an $11.000 donation was just made to the School for the replacement of Tables and Chairs and the installment of reinforced doors and locks to secure the new furniture and other school property.
- With the leadership of past presidents, executives and active members. OPWA has awarded scholarships to deserving students, performance bonuses to teachers and staff, provided a consignment of Science Equipment for the Physics, Chemistry and Biology Labs, replenished the school band equipment and donated Trophies and Medals for the Annual Sports plus numerous prizes for the Speech Day and Prize Giving ceremony.
We are proud of what we have been able to achieve so far but we also know we could not have done it without your support. We still need and depend on your generosity to be able to continue our work. In the event you are unable to attend, a gratuitous donation to OPWA to help in further assisting the Prince of Wales School would be greatly appreciated.Please mail your donation to: Treasurer, OPWA, and P.O. Box 3072, Silver Spring, MD 20918-3072. Alternatively, you can go to the OPWA website, at www.opwa-usa.org and make your donation via the PayPal link and for more information about us.
On behalf of OPWA, I thank you very much in advance for your anticipated support and I hope that all of us continue to“Keep a niche within our hearts for Prince of Wales, Kingtom.” FORWARD!!!